Monday, April 23, 2012

Ahimsa with your burger and fries?



    An ongoing topic in the yoga world is ahimsa, or non-violence, and how it applies to us carnivorous yoginis out there. To truly understand my affinity for meat you should be aware that I grew up in the Midwest eating meat and potatoes every night for dinner, usually covered in some kind of meaty gravy. Meat in my mind equates to comfort food (so does Coca-Cola but that's another story). For a long time I felt like a fraud as a meat-eating yoga teacher so I decided to try the vegetarian life; the vegan way didn't last long in our house though. As soon as my husband started bringing home a steak or a piece of chicken to throw on the grill to go along with whatever vegetarian fare I was serving up, well, I didn't last long with a plate full of beans when the smell of barbeque was wafting my way. So what to do about this situation? I really do believe in the concept of ahimsa. My intention is to practice non-violence and I knew I needed to walk the walk, so this is what I came up with. I began to buy what my daughter calls “happy” meat whenever possible. Happy meat is free-range, no hormones, grass-fed, and as local as possible, a more sustainable way of eating. On a practical note I understand this is not always possible; I am not blind to the fact that here in California we have much more access to what my dad views as “hippy thinkin'”  meat. Yet, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and the like have sprung up all over America, so it's possible to get happy meat just about anywhere now. Be creative; when we lived briefly in South Dakota I used to buy buffalo meat from a local rancher.
   We have managed to come to a place that we all can agree upon, our daughter is a huge animal advocate and was a loud protester to our meaty meals. We cut back on meat, serving four vegetarian meals or so a week, and whenever possible I spend a little extra to get happy meat. That doesn't mean you won't find me in the supermarket with a rack of baby back ribs in my cart from time to time, I am still my fathers daughter. I am making homemade burgers tonight with grass-fed beef (it has been weeks since we've had red meat), and baked french fries. I am including my recipe for Lisa's “quarter pounder and fries” below, in all honesty I did not create the recipes I use and will give full credit to the source of each. I think if you try these recipes at home you will find it much more satisfying than a McDonald's meal. For you skeptics I have one request, I do remember my own reluctance in the beginning of my journey to eat healthier, don't judge until you try it.
Hamburgers with Un-Fried French Fries
1 lb. Grass-fed beef
1Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
cracked black pepper
4 hamburger buns(wheat, gluten free, whatever suits you)
1Tbsp white vinegar
2Tbsp ketchup
2 Tbsp mayo, or any vegan substitue
1 Tbl canola oil
2 tsp dill pickle relish
1/8 cup chopped onion
Mix hamburger with Worcestershire sauce and black pepper, separate into 4 patties, Grill to desired consistency.
Sauce(Internet-Allrecipes):
Combine onion, oil, and 1 tbsp of ketchup in medium sauce pan.  Cook over medium high heat, stirring until onion is softened - about 5-7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, uncover and cook, stirring occasionally until very soft - about 5-8 minutes more. Transfer to bowl and let cool. Combine remaining tbsp of ketchup, mayo, relish, and vinegar in a small bowl and add to cooling ketchup mixture. This sauce is seriously awesome!
Serve burgers with lettuce, onion, tomatoe, and sauce. (I buy organic whenever possible)
Un-Fried French Fries (Courtesy of Rosie Daley)
3 large baking potatoes
Cooking spray
2 large egg whites
1 Tbsp Cajon spice
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Slice potatoes into matchstick pieces. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine the egg white and cajon spice in a bowl. Add the potatoes and mix to coat. Spread on baking sheet into a single layer.
Place the baking sheet in the oven, turning every five minutes in the beginning to seperate the fries, cook until crispy, 30-40 minutes.  Pete and Jayne request these all the time now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment