Monday, April 16, 2012

Everybody needs a place to just Be




   I figured out today that there are definite advantages to cooking dinner in your pajamas. I woke up last night at three am sick with an upset stomach and a fever. I stayed home and nursed this very strange stomach bug, even though, all in all, I don't really feel that sick. On occasion my daughter asks me to cook her something special and I tend to do it. She requested chicken curry and I had planned it for tonight. Jayne is a Junior in high school and planning on going off to college soon, so our time together feels more precious then ever before. Hence the reason behind my getting out of bed in my pajamas and cooking dinner tonight. I had promised Jayne this meal and I was not going to skip a chance to give her a memory that she will carry with her. I can imagine her at college telling her freinds something like “my mom makes the best curry, just don't tell her friend Mina I said that.” Not that she would notice if I threw a pizza on the table instead, but I would know the difference and I know I'm bringing smells and taste into our house by making this meal that will someday be comforting for her.
  So why is it so good to cook in your pajamas? I should first tell you that my pajamas consist of multi-colored long johns and big t-shirts, no matching silk frocks for me, I am still a bit of a small town Missouri girl at heart. I skipped my apron tonight and noticed that as water splashed up on me while I washed and cleaned veggies, garlic sprayed out from the garlic press, olive oil sizzled as I dropped the chicken into the skillet, and coconut milk somehow swirled its way around the pan and onto my shirt, I did not have any concerns about the condidtion of my clothes in the fall out that inevitably ensues when I cook. I also realized how relaxing it is to spend a day in your pajamas with no concerns for your appearance, even though I'm pretty sure June Cleaver would not agree with this philosophy. It's wonderful to have a place that you can Be without pretense, a place where you can cook in your pajamas and no one questions why.    

No comments:

Post a Comment