Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Collard greens with "bacon" and cornbread

   I have Southern roots, my people are hillbillies if you get right down to it.  No exaggeration here either, my great-grandparents were squatters on a river in Missouri with meals consisting of frogs and squirrel on a regular basis. Hence, my penchant for southern comfort food, it's in the genes.  Here is a variation of my grandmothers original "collard greens with bacon fat" replacing the bacon with soy product.  I think this is pretty tasty and hope you will too.

1 large bunch of collard greens, remove stems and chop          
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
4 slices soy bacon product                                                        
3/4 cup chicken(or vegetable) broth
1 Tbl olive oil                                                                          
1 can white beans, cannellini is my choice
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 Tbl cider vinegar
1 Tbl maple syrup

Preheat skillet and fry soy product.  When done set aside and leave grease in pan.  Add olive oil if necessary and onion.  When onions are softened add collard greens, vinegar, syrup, pepper flakes, broth, and beans.  Bring to a simmer then lower temp and cook for 30 minutes.  Shred bacon over greens in skillet.  Serve over corn bread if you like.      Serves 2 as main meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment